Thursday, March 28, 2019

Looking Back

The first phase of my trip is coming to an end. Since I am up early...again!...I find myself reflecting on the past three weeks...

The first thought is that is has been such a whirlwind--going from place to place, meeting so many individuals and being hosted by so many CWA of WA groups--that I feel very guilty that I've not had time to mention all of the groups or wonderful people I have met. Sometimes I had a very profound experience, and then was whisked off to the next one before I could even jot down the memory. I was instant friends with many people and will probably correspond with some of them for the rest of my life. The CWA branches were so lovely and generous to me...and fed me well.  I am certainly not complaining about the whirlwind--there was no other way to do it--but I don't want anyone or any group I met to feel they weren't important to me just because I didn't mention them here!

I am so indebted to the Illinois Association of Home and Community Education (IAHCE) and to the Country Women's Association of Western Australia for sponsoring this exchange. They are sister groups under the umbrella (or "brolly") of the international group the Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW). As I've met with each branch here, it has been quite clear that these groups, just like mine, value friendship and support of our fellow women. We both care about our communities and strive to better them. We reach beyond our local groups and try to better the lives of women and children around the world...because if you better the lives of women and children, you better the whole country.

A year ago, Sara Kenny, former president of the CWA of WA spent three weeks in Illinois with various IAHCE units around the state. My county, Fulton County, hosted her for a mere 48 hours, but the impact of her spirit and her thirst for learning will be felt forever. If not for having met her, I would not have had this amazing experience. She coordinated my trip here and, I must say, she did a tremendous job! Each host family gave me a different viewpoint on Australian lifestyles, family life and even house styles. Each CWA branch has welcomed me with open arms and a few kisses.

What are my major impressions of Australia?

     Everyone tries to live a healthy, happy lifestyle.

     Australians love the outdoors and especially love their trees.

     Everyone has been to a lot more places than I have been. Vacations are very important and plentiful for Australians. Bali? Wow, you've been to Bali? A country that seems distant and exotic to me is just a short plane ride away here. So many people I talked to have traveled to the U.S. or have relatives who live there. Some have even visited Illinois.

     Australians love beaches and water. Water is scarce in some parts, so every drop of water is precious and is hoarded. Water surrounds Australia, so every child is taught to swim. The oceans lure Australia's inhabitants to their coasts. Tradition urges one and all to dip their feet into each ocean that surrounds the continent. (I have checked off the Indian Ocean and the Great Southern Ocean.)

     I have only experienced one corner of Western Australia, but have sweated in the heat in one part and have quickly donned my John Deere hoodie in other parts. My stereotype of Australia was that it was ALL Outback. What? They have TREES? What? They have GREEN?

     I am soon off to Melbourne and the remainder of my adventure. Never will I forget Western Australia and the people in it.
   

   


2 comments:

  1. Thanks. You are so correct. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we won't forget you Deon. Thank you for your enquiring mind, enjoyment of your experiences here and your gentle company on long car trips...

    ReplyDelete

Elphin Grove Farm-East Sassafras, Tasmania

Elphin Grove Farm in East Sassafras, Tasmania. Doesn't that sound like the most magical place in the world one could live? Lesley and I...