Sunday, March 17, 2019

...and at last...kangaroos!


Seeing a kangaroo is on the top of the list for most visitors to Australia. I was no different. Fortunately, I was able to see two the first day in Perth. After I reached Rubicon, I kept looking around and looking around for them. The day Mike and I were feeding the sheep (well, he was doing all the work and I was taking all the pictures), when we were in the wooded area, suddenly, there they were! First, there we spotted one, then two, then five. Unfortunately, there were not as obliging as the two in Perth and I couldn't even get my camera aimed before they bounded off.

That evening, we saw some a little closer up in the headlights of the car as they jumped across the road in front of our vehicle. Again, no pictures.

The next day, Sara took me to Mike's sister and brother-in-law's farm, Wuthering Heights, which usually had an abundance of kangaroos. Sara looked in the usual places and, alas, none were to be seen. We went to the house for a nice visit and a cup of tea. Soon, we were all in a SUV bouncing over the fields. What was that in the distance? Could those little dots be kangaroos?


Look closely.


Once we spotted the first few, we then saw 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 under each tree! We were still too far away for a good closeup and the engine noise was disturbing their afternoon snooze. We kept driving around and around to try to get the kangaroos acclimated to us. Finally, two stopped to stare at us with curiosity...or was it annoyance that we'd disturbed their nap? For a long while, we stared at them and they stared at us. They didn't pull out a camera. I did. Ta da!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Elphin Grove Farm-East Sassafras, Tasmania

Elphin Grove Farm in East Sassafras, Tasmania. Doesn't that sound like the most magical place in the world one could live? Lesley and I...