Sunday, March 17, 2019

Dogs, Sheep and Kangaroos continued....

The green machine in the center is the wool press.

400-500 sheep are in a mob in each paddock, where they forage for roughage. Every two or three days, depending on the season, the sheep's diet is supplemented with lupins. At other times, they might be fed hay when food sources are low. Mike's main job on the farm is to decide where and when to move the sheep and to deliver their allotment of lupins to them on the right days. Here is his ute and a wagon which he is filling with lupins from a bin by auger. This is enough lupins for one mob. Lupins look like a soybean that is speckled brown. It is high in protein, but has lysine, so the sheep only get a certain amount. On the way to the paddock, I was the official gate-opener. I'm an expert. I was perplexed that the gate was left open for our return, but he assured me the sheep were far away from the gate and wouldn't see that it was open and run out. When we found the sheep, they knew what the sound of the truck meant and they quickly ran toward us to feed.

I don't think this video will work. Okay, just envision hundreds of sheep rushing up to eat...



Note the row of brown lupins on the ground.

The next task was to muster the sheep, and then move them. In the early days, this would have been done by horses or by motor bikes. Nowadays, it is done with a four-wheeler/quad bike or a John Deere Gator. The Kenny's dog's name is Jasper and he is devoted to Mike, as evidence by the photo above. 

Later, Jasper was assigned to Sara, but Jasper wasn't too keen with letting Mike leave in the ute without him. Jasper finally consented to riding with Sara as she and I left to guide the sheep. I was assigned the brand new Gator...after all the steering wheel was on "correct" side for me. For the next couple of hours, we gently herded different mobs of sheep to new paddocks. Although it had been many, many decades since I've herded sheep...and that herd was a tenth of the size of each one of these...my memory served me well. Sheep behavior is the same the world over. They will follow each other compliantly, especially when a skilled sheep dog is working them...except for that ONE with an independent streak who suddenly decides, "I think I'll just move to Peru RIGHT NOW!" 

We were doing great, nearing the exit gate when I saw several flashes of black streaking from the left. Uh, oh! Trouble ahead. Sara and Mike's son's dogs had caught wind of the excitement afoot and decided to join the party. Not a good plan! Now, all of the dogs were Kelpies...all the same color. I had no idea which one was Jasper anymore. A few minutes of stern commands ensued and the interlopers were soon relegated to the back of the ute, as in "Ute better get in the back of this truck or ute in trouble!"  


Too many cooks in the kitchen.


When you move sheep, this is your view. You are literally following behinds.
Note sandy soil.


If this doesn't work, envision Jasper skillfully guiding the sheep.

When we were moving one mob, Jasper was assigned to my Gator. The sheep were moving in front of us and Jasper was having a fit. He kept looking back at me as if to say, "I don't know who you are but when are you going to command me to go do my job? Hey! It's my JOB! Huh? Huh? Huh? When are you going to release me?" As we neared the gate, I was unsure of when Jasper was supposed to be "on." He was just about beside himself...barking and attempting to command the sheep from afar. That is when I made a critical mistake, not knowing what his signal were to go to work. I was just trying to comfort him when I said, "You are sure a good dog, Jasper." Well, apparently just saying, "Jasper" was THE command. I'd unwittingly given him permission to herd the sheep. OFF the Gator he flew! BARK! BARK! BARK! In an instant he was behind the sheep darting this way and that way! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! The sheep, knowing they were in the paws of a master obediently did as they were told and went through the gate. 



In the new paddock, refreshment awaited. Each paddock has a water source for the sheep. They are often "dams" or little ponds of water that fill up during the rains. Ahhhh!




I met with the Badgingarra CWA of WA ladies, along with ladies from some other groups to talk about IAHCE and Illinois. It was followed by a yummy lunch. Was a delightful group!


Sara and I had a short visit to the local school to view her artwork!


Kangaroos will have to wait until tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. So you are telling me they do not have herds or flocks of sheep but rather mobs? What is a Ute other than a Native American group. Chip was interested in Jasper. Sounds like you have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A ute is a utility vehicle. Yes, all groups of animals can be described as mobs, I think. Jasper was so sweet. If not watched closely, he'll sneak in and eat the cat's food.

    ReplyDelete

Elphin Grove Farm-East Sassafras, Tasmania

Elphin Grove Farm in East Sassafras, Tasmania. Doesn't that sound like the most magical place in the world one could live? Lesley and I...